Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Anderson's newest addition

You often hear that phrase "the miracle of life" when a newborn makes his or her appearance into the world. Nowadays, seeing a pregnant woman or hearing the news of another baby being born is so commonplace. The story behind that pregnant woman is unknown and it's easy to assume that all went well and all is going well. No complications. I have friends who would give anything to be that pregnant woman walking the baby aisles at Target but for whatever reason, God has chosen that today is not the day for them to conceive. And I know of many others who have miscarried more times than they can count. Yet through it all, God is sovereign and His will prevails...no matter what. It's a matter of us yielding to it. 
   I say this because a few months ago, I, along with the rest of the Anderson family, shed tears of joy to the heart-warming news that there would be another little member added to the family. I would be an auntie again! My sister-in-law (Andy's sister) Heather and her husband Mitch were on the track to have a baby this fall!! Elated. Rejoicing. Overwhelming joy! They were one of those couples who had been trying, praying, wondering when it would be "their turn" again to give Daniel a sibling. God chose this spring. 
The Hinton family last fall
   It was in the summer months that I again shed tears but this time, it was tears of confusion. Not understanding. Questions. And dare I admit, a little heartbreak. We were back in MN for our annual summer trip to spend a few weeks with family and friends when I got the call from Heather that my precious little nephew (yes...it's a boy!!) would be born with Spina Bifida. My limited knowledge at the time told me that he may never walk and the road ahead was long with so many unknowns. It wasn't fair. Praise the Lord for the wisdom of my mother as we talked through the shocking news together and she offered words of comfort that I was easily able to pass along. Spina bifida is basically this: a developmental and congenital disorder caused by the incomplete closing of the embryonic neural tube. Some vertebrae overlying the spinal cord are not fully formed and remain unfused and open. The form of spina bifida that  baby Paul (don't you love his name?! So fitting already!) has is myelomeningocele--the most common and most serious type of S.B. Surgery will be necessary within 48 hours of his birth to close up his little back. Paul also has hydrocephalus (excess fluid on the brain) and will be monitored following his surgery. Depending on the severity, he many need a shunt to drain that fluid. Heather will be delivering via c-section on Monday, Oct. 3rd (after an amniocentesis to make sure Paul's lungs are developed) and Paul's surgery will shortly follow. She will be delivering at UCSF, in San Fransisco and depending on how the little man is doing and recovering, will stay for a few weeks. We will make the trek to San Fran as well and I just can't wait to meet this little man. He is going to be so handsome. So perfect. Another boy created by the very hands of our Creator.  "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." (Psalm 139:13-16)  God doesn't make mistakes.

  With all the questions that naturally surround something like this, there seems to be more of those than answers. So much still remains unknown. Underneath it all, however, there is one constant....God's will is prevailing. He hand-picked Mitch and Heather to raise this baby boy, chose them to be the parents of this precious little Paul at this perfect season of life. He has given them the awesome responsibility of raising another boy who will hopefully come to love the Lord as much as they do, to have the kind of faith they have. That is one thing that continues to be the center as we walk through this together--our faith as a family will not be shaken. Only made stronger. Paul is not even technically "here" yet, but already he's touched lives and caused people to pray in new ways and with new fervor. He's brought a community together to think beyond themselves and love another. Perhaps that is why I write about my little nephew now and not simply post pictures of when he he makes his grand appearance (although, you know I'll be back then with some pictures of that little guy!) I know many of you are avid prayer warriors so I ask that you would add the Hinton's to your prayer list. For those of you who live in Winnemucca a fundraiser has been organized to help them foot the bill for what is to come--it will be on September 24th, from 3-7pm at Las Margaritas. If you are able, please join us. Your very presence will mean more than you know. If you are unable to make it or simply don't live here, but are wanting to help in someway, please let me know. 
a glowing mother with a beautiful boy inside
 "...so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever." (1 Peter 4:11)

5 comments:

fettic said...

What a beautiful blog! The entire Anderson and Hinton families have been in my prayers.

Jen Anderson said...

Great idea to post this, Kendra!! The ad in the paper should start running next week as well!

Analee I. said...

Dear Heather and family, I am praying for you and your family and precious baby boy! My baby is due October 3 too, so it strikes really close to home for me. I wish I new the right words to say. Know that our family cares for you and are praying. Please keep me updated: my email is: at876@eagle.pbu.edu. I miss you and love you. <3 your cousin,

Caila van Beuzekom said...

Dear Heather and the Anderson family, So precious how you guys are "praising God in the storm"...I can't emagine the thoughts, prayers and concerns that are running though your mind at the moment. I will along with my husband be praying for you. That God will give you courage to face the days ahead and give you wisdom that only he can give! Thanks kendra for posting this. We love you guys. A warm hug xoxox, Caila and Jelle

Amy Lyttle said...

We are praying in PA too, and in France, Brazil and Holland. Just because we are far away, doesn't mean we don't care or think of you all. Thanks for posting this on Facebook, as I'm not sure I would have heard otherwise. Praying for you all. Thanks for loving the Hintons so well!!

~Amy

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...