Monday, August 20, 2012

First Day of school......again

I was well aware that heading into this day, it was not going to be easy. I've traveled down this path before, this place known as the "first day of school". I knew the basics of the routine already so I instinctively had kleenex readily accessible in places that it isn't normally found. However, I also knew without a shadow of a doubt that this year was going to be a little different. Carson has now joined the ranks of 'school boy.' Just like it was for big brother Austin, this 'school territory' is a new one for him, having never even been in preschool. But as this day has been fast approaching and we've talked off and on about it all summer long, Carson couldn't wait for this day to see what Austin has been experiencing and what all the "hype" is about. :) The day we ordered his backpack along with the day that it arrived on our doorstep, he hugged me and looked up at me with tears welling in those huge chocolate brown eyes saying "thank you so much mommy! I'm so excited for school!" More tears. Mama tears. It's another faith step in our journey as we now let go of 2 boys every morning at 8:25am, growing up ever so slowly, but growing up all too quickly just the same. 

We started off our morning with cinnamon french toast, much to the boys' delight, which seems to be the "first day of school" tradition three years running.
The ever-faithful first day of school pictures!
Carson--my Kindergartener!!
Austin--my 2nd Grader!!



















mama and Austin

mama and Carson

my school boys!!!

had to get an all-out brother photo!! :)
I was able to hold it together (for the most part) while releasing Austin into the second grade masses and even while taking the time to make sure Carson had his bearings within his new Kindergarten surroundings. Watching him get acclimated to a whole new setting tugged on this mama's heart strings with chords I've never heard before. The tears were nearly bursting at the seams as I pried myself away from Carson's classroom only to leave him in the hands of a teacher I barely know, but somehow automatically trust. With a final hug, a shortened-soft prayer whispered in his ear, and a blown goodbye kiss from Carson, I turned on my heels and with Mason's hand in mine, we walked the suddenly seemingly long hallway back to our van, leaving Carson to begin his experience as a 'school boy.'
Carson hanging up his backpack!
And just as in years past, I prayed my way from the school parking lot to my mother-in-law's house and once again, I'm ever so grateful for her, who understands and has just as tender heart, making my make-up mess that much less intimidating. She had the kleenex ready. And for the third year in a row, my floodgates were opened wide. I wasn't completely alone as my sis-in-law Heather joined me in tearful chorus of how saying goodbye to her little man, Daniel, was definitely not the easiest thing in the world. Sugar and sprinkle-coated donuts and countless cups of coffee were our cure-all!! :) 
Carson's seat at the table in his classroom
The first day of school is always the hardest, and I'm sure it won't be long before I find my 'new routine' with just me and Mason and I can tackle those daily to-do lists in record time! Even still, the silence of the afternoon was once again deafening and I can't tell you how many glances were stolen at the clock. Austin and Carson were picked up with smiles on their faces and an eagerness to share what their day held from the the ringing of the first bell to the last. It was N.O.N.S.T.O.P chatter from the time we pulled out of the parking lot to the time we finally sat on the couch and I let each boy share the highlights of his day. And while they chatted away, I couldn't help but let the back of my mind lift up prayers of thanks for smiles and not tears, for loving brothers who "searched" for the other at second recess so they could play together (and they were successful!), for new friends made, for another good start to another school year...and for a God who loves us and cares so intimately about us, down to the smallest of details even on these miniature milestones marked as "the first day of school."

1 comment:

Heidi Maranell said...

Seeing you survived it gives me hope for myself as I sent Eden AND Carter off next week. How did this happen? ;)

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...