Saturday, August 6, 2011

Controlled Chaos

I am intrigued by the fact that having three sons can sometimes cause people to put me in a small "Duggar" category just by a sheer quick glance. I quite often will get the "wow....3 boys" comment with wide and darting eyes and even a cock-eyed smile to boot! It's the underlying tone of sarcasm and almost pity-like way they talk about how it must be so crazy to have all boys. Crazy, yes. Busy...naturally. But, ahem, pretty blessed?? AMEN!! I've got my set line of response as "yep, it's busy but I wouldn't trade it for anything...I simply love it." There's something to be said about the sheer joy and satisfaction of being a mom to 3 boys and believe me, I'm glad that I was not in control of planning out my whens and what gender children I would have--God knew that I was simply meant to be a mom of boys. I love the nightly routine of wrestling with daddy after dinner, the simple game of jumping through a hula-hoop that will entertain boys for hours because it includes: running, jumping, the heightened possibility of getting hurt (aka...risk), and one has to at least exhale with a shriek before performing the actual act of jumping through the hoop. Yep....loud, busy, crazy, risky...and I'll take all of it. 


Mason walking through the hula-hoop


Austin jumping through

Hum...why do I foresee possible flamage attempts in the future while using this device?!






wrestle time!!! Mason LOVES to wrestle!



  There are times when it's fun to be a girly-girl and that's why I'm so thankful I have nieces with goldilocks hair to play with, nails to paint, and I still get to shop in the frilly and lace and pink section a few times a year for those special gifts. I must admit, however, that I've had long hair for most of my life and other than the sleek back pony-tail, you might not want me styling your daughter's hair. I was a sports girl while growing up (and still am) and I wasn't about to attempt to make my hair all purdy when the sweat would simply hold it in place nicely. Not attractive if you ask me. Don't think, however, that I don't like to have my nails done (they're hot pink as I type away on the keyboard), don't like to get all dressed up and dolled up (especially for my man), and be a little girly every so often (what girl doesn't like to giggle late into the night munching on chocolate and watching chick flicks...or a semi-chick flick??).


 Attempting to keep the Anderson house under controlled chaos is put to the test many a time, but the laughter far outweighs the cries, the hilarious stories my boys make up with their imaginations override the snide comment made when the sharing was nonexistent, the train tracks and car mats that line the living room floor from wall to wall (and are laid out differently every time) bring delight to any girly mother's eyes while each boy make his own unique train and car sound (and it usually ends up in some sort of crash....). It's a constant go-go-go but as I've previously posted, and probably will many times in the future, we are learning to just "be" in that going...to praise the Lord for today...to find joy in the little and simple things....because even in the midst of the controlled chaos, we want to live just that....simply. 

Austin ready to look for rings underwater
Heading down the slide.....

and out he comes!
A thumbs-up from Carson!
Carson searching for rings underwater
Swimming lessons...completed and passed!! :)
 I'm not sure what it is about sleeping children...but no matter how crazy the day, how much discipline took place in the hours previous, how spent you may feel as a parent, watching your babies slumber away so peacefully hits a soft spot like none other.

Mason sleeping away
so tuckered out

There is no greater place for boys to be boys than out in the great outdoors....so that's where I'll take my boys (actually, Andy will take us since he is the driver of this fleet!)...one last horrah before we say goodbye to the sleeping-in-summer schedule, finding ourselves camping in the canyons of central Nevada to do some fishing, hiking, exploring, story-telling, singing by the campfire....there's just something about being "out" in God's vast and glorious creation that warms the soul and makes life even more, well, simple. And I'm not sure why, but those pancakes always taste so much more delectable when cooked over the open fire! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... totally adding the hula hoop to the nightly wrestling routine. Thanks for the idea!
Kara
http://www.fivelittlelives.com

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...