Monday, August 22, 2011

First day of First Grade

We made it. The first day of first grade. Another first step for my first born. And another first for my role as a mom. I'd like to think of it as yet another "faith step". Our lives are splashed with those periodically, more often than not, and today was no exception. 


Austin woke up this morning and before I had the chance to enjoy one last summer morning snuggling in our pj's, he was dressed and ready by the time I opened his door! A mixed blessing as he was eager to begin the day. We started it off with his choice of breakfast--cinnamon french toast. 
french toast for breakfast!

We had to take the precedented "first day of school" pictures. 

Austin ready for his first day of First grade!!

mama and son :)

my 3 sons
Austin packing his lunch!
 
 I am thankful that after walking my son to the back of the school and  releasing him into the sea of unknown faces with the exception of a few, I somehow found my footing without tear-filled eyes....until I sat back down in the driver seat of my van.  Exhaled.  And with blurry eyes I was able to navigate my way to my mother-in-laws house pulling myself together for a brief few minutes. Then the floodgates opened. I'm so grateful for a tender-hearted MIL as that made my crying spell seem somewhat less intimidating and embarrassing. We talked the morning away, drowning our sorrows in the sugary, chocolatey, sprinkled- coated goodness of donuts and countless cups of coffee. It has become a "first day of school" tradition. Thanks mom :)

At 12:30, after a quieter lunch of 3 rather than 5, Carson asked me "mom...when do we go get Austin?" and I thought my heart would break in two. Thank goodness for McQueen and his entourage as we lined them up next to the Cars 2 coloring book--we had to make sure the colors were in coordination with the characters themselves. In the mid-afternoon hours the silence was nearly deafening. My eyes seemed to bounce back and forth from the clock in wonderment as to what my mini-man would be doing at that particular time, to my Bible as I read "Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm." (Prov. 4:26) Appropriate no matter what phase of life you may be in. 

Austin came home and as we parents had been forewarned, with a backpack full of papers to read and sign. 
happy reading!
 But more than that, he came home with a smile on his face and non-stop chatter about his "skittle challenge" accomplishment, what lies inside his desk, who he played with during the first recess and the second recess, what lunch time was like and how he ate everything "saving my cookie for very last mom", how they go about reading time in their classroom, and that he really likes his teachers. Who wouldn't love teachers that give skittles and "awards" on the first day of school?!
back to school "award" from his teachers
Exhale again. We made it. And I even got a hug as we walked in the door that silently said...everything's going to be ok mom. And even after saying a quick prayer of thanks to Jesus for bringing us through the day, Austin was the one to remind me-- "I wore my Jesus necklace today mom so I remember that He's always with me." :) Faith like a child.

1 comment:

Christa Forsythe said...

I get so emotional reading your blog... you remind me how quick our babies grow up... what a big step... 1st grade... really? Love your thoughts!

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...