Friday, March 28, 2014

Family

I'm a family girl. Always have been. I attribute it to coming from a semi-large family and doing most things together as a family. That's what farm-families do! Everything was (and is) together. It was messy. (pun intended if you wish...) It was chaotic. It was barely one foot in front of the other some days. We didn't always like each other very much, but at the end of the day, love pulled us through. As my sister so eloquently stated recently, we were sometimes sideways, sometimes upside down, but regardless, we were family! And still are. I was blessed to have grown up with a common thread always sewing us together and that was a love for Jesus, taught very early on...to all 6 of us kids...by our parents, grandparents, etc. Oh sure, we had spitfires for grandparents but who didn't?! Maybe it's a generational thing...or maybe it's that Swedish/Norwegian heritage thing. ;) I wish I had a tape recording of Grandma's voice just to hear her spout off to Grandpa one more time about forgetting to bring this or that up from the basement cellar....and how he caused her to poke herself with the needle because her thimble fell off due to being distracted by his forgetfulness. He would chuckle and come and kiss her on the top of her head and make his way to the kitchen table for more coffee. She would call him "ya old coot" with her semi-pursed lips and eyes cracking a smile, and then we'd find ourselves at that same table moments later. 
the Carlson family :)--one of my favorite pics! Classic!
My mom has always been so good about sending little packages ever since we moved westward. She never fails to put in a few copies of the local papers...but lately, I've caught myself admiring my dad's handwriting which can usually be found on the front page near the top. Scribbled phone numbers. Sometimes a name. It's chicken scratch really. But it's my dad's. I can picture that phone ringing or a message being listened to and that was the closest piece of "scratch paper" in order to jot that name & number down.  

I guess it's turning another year older that I find myself semi nostalgic. Age will do that to ya. 
overnight bday getaway with my man!!!! (Thanks Mike & Elisha!)

Or maybe it's in part to the news of my mom's uncle passing. Or just realizing that none of us are getting any younger and health issues are becoming more complicated. Or just missing family altogether. But a big part is also continually realizing that these three handsome gents of ours are growing up way too quickly before our eyes and we really don't want to miss a beat. Family time together is too precious.
Sunday afternoon in Water Canyon!
our little explorers!
not 'family', but dear sisters!! ;)
sippin' on hot cocoa!
Anderson fam. in water canyon for the afternoon!
bday card and hugs from my Jovi-girl :)
cousins!!!
L.O.V.E. my man :)
This little family of ours will someday stem out a bit larger and I can only pray that the closeness of our family unit will remain, growing stronger with age. He has been our Rock from the beginning. Our sole source of comfort and strength and joy. And we can only pray that a deep and real love for Jesus will continue to be that common thread that keeps sewing this family together, no matter how many snags or knots we encounter.
a little ice cream/movie night for GREAT conference reports!!
goofs!


























And now it's time for more family memories with our 3 crazies....spring break!! WooHoo!!! :)

No comments:

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...