Sunday, January 27, 2019

In Someone Else's Shoes

The other day I decided to slide my feet into my eldest son's shoes in order to retrieve our trash bin from the end of our driveway. The shoes sat perfectly positioned next to the front door and even though our driveway was more like an ice rink than a snow-covered blacktop, I figured it would be quicker to put on his "lace-free shoes" than trying to interictally lace up a pair of my winter boots. If nothing else, by wearing my son's shoes, I could at least shuffle my way down the slab of ice since they really didn't have much of a "grip" and they'd be a bit tight too. 

But then it happened. 

My feet slid into those charcoal black shoes without any warning of a struggle and....*gasp*… they were even a little bit big!! What?! How in the world was that possible?!?

I literally stood there in our entryway for about 15 seconds in sheer disbelief and wonderment of how quickly this baby boy, turned toddler, turned youth, turned young gent, ….. turned young man right before my eyes. I've had plenty of these 'pausing moments' before, noting that my boys are growing up all too quickly for this mother's liking at times. But once again in this particular moment, my mind all-too-abruptly became flooded with an obscene amount of sentimental thoughts, and these blue eyes nearly stung with a well-up of tears. (You should know by now that tears can come easy for this gal, especially when dealing with my fam...)

As I shuffled (literally....I was shuffling/sliding/gliding/skating) down the driveway, it sorta hit me with an inescapable thought, that how often do we try to fit into someone else's shoes, only to realize that it's not at all the right fit?! 

Ugh. Been there. Done that. 

I could take this in many different directions but I'll simply say that I've definitely done that: trying on someone else's shoes only to realize they don't fit AT ALL. 


#myfavorite

And even though we think it might better us to try on those 'other' pair of shoes, when do we finally come to realize that the shoes we're wearing are the exact size God called us to fit into? 
#54 with the up's!! Way to go Carson...







In otherwords, our journey is ours...yep, our very own. And if you're a Christ-follower, it's the very one He set you out on to travel. Now, the shoes on our feet may not be the high-end designer shoes we would have maybe liked to be wearing nor the clear-cut path we would have chosen to take said shoes on because it most definitely wouldn't have contained as many mud puddles and rocks and slippery slopes and mile-high snowy sidelines. Mainly because those shoes would have easily worn down after a run or two. But no matter the brand name, when Jesus is the One providing the shoes worn, you're pretty "high-end". 

Truth. 

blessed with tickets to a Wild game!! Boys night out! :) 


love these handsome gents of mine.....
Trying to put on someone else's shoes that don't fit...well, there's a reason. They quite simply don't fit! Run your own race sweet reader!! That perfect race that God has called you to, from start to finish. Stop and tie those laces when necessary. Pull up those boot straps when the going gets tough. Humble yourself to let others run alongside you when that going gets even tougher. And I'll tell you from experience that those runners alongside you, won't always be the same. But each one is there for that very moment, that very season, that very leg of the journey when you need them. 

So let them run with you. Walk with you. Journey alongside you "as the shoe fits." 

Way to go #54! Love watching Carson play some ball alongside his buds 
and teammates. They'll be a "force to be reckon with" on that varsity court.



And then continue on that journey, in the shoes God fitted for YOUR feet. Sizes and styles will change because life will change.  

Mason's turn on the court...and he's so fun to watch!!!

#3 shoots....and scores!! 

So fun having Grandma watch Carson and Mason play bball on the same day! 
As my boys grow and continue to play hard through the years, I don't even dare try to add up the number of pairs of shoes that we have already worn and tossed and will eventually go through. But as they grow, and those new shoes need to be bought to match their ever-growing foot size, how much more do I pray that their faith grows as well?? A new pair of shoes to fit the next leg of the faith-race God is individually calling them to run. 

How much more do I pray that for us...that as our shoes are worn down for the numerous steps we've taken and the "playing hard" that we have done, I pray it's because we have journeyed as God has called us. And then, I pray we are once again ready to slip into or lace up that next pair of shoes because God has the next leg of the race marked out specifically for us.  Not only for us, but also for those who are coming alongside us and for those that we have the privilege of walking alongside. 

Just a few of the beautiful women I'm blessed to walk alongside...

Sports/Jersey Day! LCA homecoming 2019

Legacy Pridewear Day, Homecoming 2019...this FFof5 is beyond blessed
to be a part of LCA. 

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, Your God reigns!"  Isaiah 52:7

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders, and the race that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us..." Hebrews 12:1 

No comments:

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...