Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Minnesotahhhhhhhh

We are here! In the land of 10,000 lakes...which might be more like 10,005 after all the rain that has come and gone over the past few weeks (so I've been told...altho it is drizzling as I type this). The journey to get here from NV was not uneventful to say the least...over 25 hours in the van, weaving in and out of 14 construction zones across Nebraska (yes, you read that correctly--14), driving through and surviving the hail storm of all hail storms (with no damage I might add) were just a few highlights of our eastward trek. Thankfully the boys were all in their very-well-complient-side the entire time, and even if the goofiness went beyond goofy at certain moments...I'll take that over whiny and argumentative any day!

Our first few days on MN soil have been filled with tons of laughter, fun adventures, family time, friend time, and even a little relaxing here and there. We began at my sister's house to which my boys received some serious spoilage....but that's what aunts/uncles/extended family is for, right?! I wish I had the pics of it all--but maybe I'll get them in order to post at a later date (wink wink Jim and Karla). ;) They had a super fun day together as Andy and I had a great time at the Twins game with our friends John and Marci!
Austin and Carson with cousins, Megan and Kayla

Go Twins!!! :)

We had to try the walleye and cheese curds!

the view from our seats--love the city skyline!


Andy and John

Baseball game with my love :)

Friends!! :)
There is something simplistic about life "up north", in the country. Oh it's busy, that whole way of living called farming. It is a sunup to sundown reality. But there is a simplicity to it that is irreplacable and kindof unexplainable until you live it and are a part of it. Watching my little boys' eyes light up at the thought of riding a tractor with daddy...and then hearing his giddy jibber-jabber as he bounces along on his daddy's lap while stacking the haybales is heart-warming. The imagination that comes to life with cousins and a few extra acres to explore is laughable and well, down right creative. The freedom of "stopping in" is ever-so-neighborly...a practice that is rarely practiced anymore that I can find. It's a different beauty here than in the mountains as you "see for miles" the vastness of God's creation amidst the lush green trees and cloudy picturesque sunsets on the horizon (while swatting a few mosquitos of course). Our days have been full and our MN summer vacation just begun! Let the memory making continue....




And they're off!!!

Cousins!!!

4-wheelin' with daddy

Mason helping daddy move some haybales...

..but this is more his size (Mason with Clara)

 So much more to do and see and experience....like enjoy another cup of coffee with my mama while baking in the kitchen. Rhubarb cake anyone?? :)

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I totally agree, although there is no farmin' at the VanDerWerf house, it's so relaxing to just slide into home there. (Even if as a teen I hated living in the town). Good memories of After Sunday school play time with my buddy Kendra!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having a great time here in MN! Wish I was up there in Sandstone right now too! Enjoy the farm life - so glad your kids get that experience every summer.

Beth Haglin

Christa Forsythe said...

Yay... so glad you guys made it! Looks sooo fun! I love the pics of you and Andy together! And yes, I love the skyline on that twin game pic! I won't be heading your way ;o( We decided that Micah is going to head out there on his own... sadness.... but you ENJOY your time "home"....

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...