Monday, October 10, 2011

San Fran weekend!

It was a whirlwind of a weekend and as I sit here typing, it's nearly surreal to think of all we packed in to the last 72+ hours, from visiting our dear friends the Swigarts on the way, to seeing PJ and the family, watching an air show, and just trying to navigate our way around a ginormous city with countless twists and turns. But our sole purpose of going to San Fran was beyond worth it. Let me just say that our precious nephew Paul Jarrett is one handsomely adorable little tyke!

 When we first arrived at the hospital, we met Mitch and Daniel in the waiting room and oh my goodness, that was quite the reunion for the 3 little boy cousins...it was a gigantic 30 second group hug/dance met with giddy-boyish laughter followed by a group tackle on the floor. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it. The trio then began their trek down the hallway hand-in-hand to lead us up to the top floor!

Reality is the pictures don't quite do baby Paul any justice but we did our best to capture his unique features and just the beautiful little bundle that he is! I have to admit that I could have sat, or stood, there just watching him sleep so peacefully, stroking his soft silky hair and smelling that sweet-baby-scented skin. And I can't deny that my tears welled up when I walked into the NICU.  Sometimes my emotions are worn on my sleeve...this was one of those times I guess.
seeing PJ for the first time!! 
baby Paul

Mama and son!
so content! Don't those look like the most kissable little cheeks?! :)

Only two people were allowed back at a time to see little PJ so we spent quite a bit of time in a small waiting room just down the hall, visiting and "hanging out" more or less. The boys were disappointed they couldn't see their cousin but they were quite the troopers just going with the flow. It helped having a great view of the city from the waiting room--makes for great "I Spy" games and plane watching. Andy and I were able to go back together for a short while to see Paul and we just stood there next to his little crib praising God for how He has carried everyone through and for just how healthy this little guy is in comparison to so many others. Neither one of us can wait to get to hold the mini-man!
Uncle Andy & PJ
a very proud aunt and uncle with baby Paul!
Pappy with all the boys looking for jets


Nanny trying to get Paul to take his pacifier



On Saturday afternoon we were treated to quite the air show by the Blue Angels and I don't even have to tell you how ex-tactic my three boys were....I'm not sure if the little guys or the big guys (Andy, Mitch, Dad) were more excited?! It was a nice "break" and diversion for everyone I think. The bay was filled with ships and the shore lined with thousands of viewers. Again, pictures just don't completely capture the scene and the awe of what was happening before our eyes. 








I love that you can see the numbers!

pretty awesome!
After a rather eventful Saturday, we did a very small amount of "sight-seeing" on Sunday morning to a local donut shop and then to a double-decker Target. Yes, I said double-decker complete with a parking garage to boot! The boys were fascinated with the fact that you can ride up the escalator and there's a "cart escalator" right next to it for your cart to ride up! I should have taken a picture but come on, I didn't want to look that touristy. Then it was back to the hospital to say our goodbyes. I'm not one for goodbyes, no matter how long the goodbye is for until the next reunion takes place. I'm more of a 'see ya later' kind of gal--especially knowing that Heaven isn't too far away!

Mason doing some coloring while we wait


Saying goodbye to PJ....not easy!
I'm so thankful that the five of us were able to make the trek to spend some time with Mitch and Heather and finally get an up close and personal view of baby Paul. It was such a blessing to meet him and to watch Mitch and Heather as they have transitioned into their role as parents of a boy who needs a little extra TLC. God knew what He was doing when he gave Paul to them as their son. Makes me wonder why we ever question what God is doing as it's obvious He knows best and His will be done if only we allow Him to have His way and trust Him. This is proof of that. It'll be a sweet homecoming for them and I know many are anxious for that day...us included. :)


 

1 comment:

Christa Forsythe said...

Love everything about this post... the emotions on your sleeve part... made me laugh... the sense of love and support I feel from you guys for Heather and her family... those cheeks... yes those cheeks are INCREDIBLE on little PJ... can hardly believe them! The pictures of the planes were SWEET... I've always love SF... went there on an Art Club "field trip" and feel in love with the town. Glad it was a great trip for you all!

Give 'em Tools

Ever since Andy and I signed that purchase agreement making us the owners of our very first home on Brookview Drive in Burnsville, Minnesota...